Sunday, July 28, 2013

Humanizing Genderqueer 12: Ruena

Humanizing Genderqueer: Lived experiences of non-binary people.

Gender Wins: Recall a happy memory of when you felt most comfortable in your gender or most accepted as your gender by those around you.

I have only felt the most comfortable dressed as a woman at night. I feel safer, more under cover. Really, being femme is the only time I am really comfortable and happy with myself.

Gender Struggles: Tell about a time when circumstances would not allow, or you had to make sacrifices, to remain true to your gender.

For 25 years I believed that transitioning was not an option for me because of how transgender people are portrayed in the media and my own desire to be well seemed in conflict. Since opening up to it, I have found being transgender and my wellness go hand in hand. The circumstances around my being able to be me were like night and day. More awareness would have helped me greatly.

Humanist Involvement: Suggest something the humanist community could do to make a positive impact on your personal quality of life.

I think more positive stories should be shared. Being transgender shouldn't be viewed with such stigma and the way to do this is awareness and education.

How You Identify (optional): Name, age, gender, location, ethnicity, anything you deem relevant.

Ruena, 33, female, San Diego, CA, Caucasian/Dutch

Survey responses shared with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment