Sunday, June 9, 2013

Humanizing Genderqueer 5: Jenny

Humanizing Genderqueer: Lived experiences of non-binary people.

Gender Wins: Recall a happy memory of when you felt most comfortable in your gender or most accepted as your gender by those around you.

I bought some rolls at a bakery counter.  When the guy handed 'em over the counter, he said, "Here y'go, miss."  He didn't act like there was anything unusual about me, just identified that I was female and addressed me appropriately.

Gender Struggles: Tell about a time when circumstances would not allow, or you had to make sacrifices, to remain true to your gender.

My first year in transition, my income dropped $30k.  I nearly starved to death, and had to move back in with my parents... who weren't thrilled with the arrangement, or with my gender change.

Humanist Involvement: Suggest something the humanist community could do to make a positive impact on your personal quality of life.

Just accept the gender presentation I offer as my gender.  Treat me as you would any other woman.

How You Identify (optional): Name, age, gender, location, ethnicity, anything you deem relevant.

Jenny, 44, North Carolina, Asian-American

Survey results shared with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment